The New Zealand Starlight Conference in Tekapo, New Zealand will take place between the 20th and 23rd of October 2019.
You can pre register for Early Bird tickets by clicking here.
This conference will be hosted by the Aoraki Mackensie International Dark Sky Reserve (AMIDSR) in Tekapo, New Zealand which was awarded the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) Dark Sky Place of the Year 2018.
We expect the New Zealand Starlight Conference to bring together participants from multiple different backgrounds to discuss the inter-related themes of dark-sky protection, the effects of artificial light at night on star-gazing, the environment and on human health and all aspects of lighting technology and astro-tourism. The following will all be very welcome as contributors and participants, whether from New Zealand or around the world:
- Stakeholders of dark sky places and aspiring dark sky places
- Stargazers and astro-tourists
- Astronomers (amateur and professional)
- Lighting industry participants
- Astro-tourism industry participants
- Environmental and conservation industry participants
- Health industry participants
- Regulators and policy makers in these fields, including local government councillors, staff members and national politicians
- Researchers and Scientists in these fields
- Aesthetes who appreciate the beauty of the night sky
- Celestial navigators, including early Polynesian navigators
This will be an official IDA Conference. Supporting organisations and international speakers are encouraged to get in touch.
We welcome proposals from any participants who wish to present a talk or a poster at the conference. If you wish to give a paper please email John Hearnshaw (firstname.lastname@example.org.